As our Covid-19 community infection rates improve, Santa Barbara Unified School District is planning how and when to safely return to in-person school.
In order for your family to be informed, please review the following:
Santa Barbara Junior High School Posted: March 16, 2021
We are very excited to officially notify you that SBJH is returning to in-person instruction this week! We miss having our students on campus and look forward to seeing them this week. Please read carefully the information below, it is important that our condor families are informed and prepared.Our first day back will be Thursday, March 18, 2021 with Group A in person, and Groups B and C at home. Group B students will attend in person on Friday, March 19, 2021 with Groups A and C at home.
- Cohort A: Report to SBJH on Thursday, March 18th at 8:15am (attend classes via Zoom on Friday)
- Cohort B: Report to SBJH on Friday, March 19th at 8:15am (attend classes via Zoom on Thursday)
- Cohort C: Continue to attend all of your classes from home, via Zoom. (SBJH will be providing students in cohort C continuity of learning by providing support during learning support time)
Please note that ALL students are on Spring Break (school is closed) next week, the week of March 22nd through 26th. The in-person Cohort A and B schedule will resume the week of March 29th.At this time, Wednesday is designated as a distance learning day for all students. We aim to return students to campus on Wednesdays in the future.A few reminders:
- iPASS DAILY HEALTH SCREENING. Prior to student arrival on campus, it is critical that Parents/Guardians complete the daily pre-visit self-certification request. Use this link for specific instructions: iPass self health screening. iPass (English) (video linked). iPass (Español) (video linked)
- All students and staff must wear a mask, on campus, at all times except while actively eating outside. It must cover your nose and mouth - no exceptions.
- Please bring your iPad fully charged, daily.
- The drinking portion of water fountains is unavailable. The water bottle filler is available. Please bring a water bottle daily.
- Windows and fans will remain open and on in all weather conditions in order to ensure adequate ventilation and airflow. Please bring a sweater or jacket daily.
- Lunchtime seating at tables is limited to avoid congregation. If preferred, please bring a small towel or blanket, in your backpack, to sit on at lunch.
- Student ID Badges will be distributed on the first day of the 4th quarter (March 29th)
- We cannot accommodate visitors on campus at this time. Parents/Guardians, if you bring your student to school, we ask that you stay in your vehicle or on the public sidewalk to allow our students the most space for physical distancing.
- While this transition comes with excitement, we also know there may be questions and nervousness. Please see the below resources to support students transition into this new phase of school:
A few important pieces of additional information:MANAGING CHANGEAs junior high and high school students prepare to transition from distance learning to in-person hybrid, HERE are some tips to help them through this new phase of school life.STAFF COVID TESTING/VACCINATIONSAll staff will be tested prior to reopening, and every two weeks thereafter. All of the district's 2,100 employees have been offered a vaccine appointment and of those:
(Data as of 11 am 3/16/2021 with 96% employee response)PREK-12 STUDENT COVID TESTING COVID testing of students will occur in accordance with County Public Health guidelines and upon parent request. If you have questions, please contact the office or school nurse, or consult this resource.FREE COVID TESTINGThank you to our partners at County Public Health - anyone in our community can receive a free COVID test at one of two district locations.
- 73% are vaccinated, partially vaccinated or have appointment scheduled
- 16% are waiting alternate appointment
- 11% declined a vaccination
- Mondays from 3-6 pm at La Cumbre Junior High School, 2255 Modoc Rd.
- Wednesdays from 3-6 pm at Franklin Elementary School, 1111 East Mason St.
- Walk-ins only
- No ID required
- No appointment needed and no out-of-pocket expense
- Everyone is welcome
TRANSPORTATIONSanta Barbara Unified in partnership with MTD and Jump on the School Bus will be providing transportation for our students starting March 18, 2021.MTD will be running their normal school boosters and will be adding additional boosters to accommodate all the students. For a list of routes/stops/times please visit MTD's website, https://sbmtd.gov/maps-schedules/.Jump on the School Bus will be offering additional buses on certain routes/stops they are listed below:Bus 1: AM 2410, 2540—PM 2110Bus 2: AM 2620, 2510—PM 2620, 2510Bus 3: AM 2650, 2720—PM 2410, 2720Bus 4: AM 2610, 2710—PM 2610, 2710Each bus will indicate which site they are going to. MTD will also be on these routes/stops so students can ride either bus.SPRING BREAKA reminder that we encourage our families and staff to practice caution aswe approach Spring break. We are still in the midst of a pandemic. Pleaseavoid large gatherings, practice social distancing and good hygiene, and stayhome when sick. We are all one community, and our personal choices in this pandemic impact others.As we move forward, we will continue to send more detailed information to students and families. You can continue to visit the district website, the Return to In Person FAQ page, and our school’s website for site-specific details and instructions.
Santa Barbara Junior High School Posted: March 5, 2021
Santa Barbara Junior High School Posted: March 4, 2021
Santa Barbara Junior High School Posted: February 17, 2021
Santa Barbara Junior High School Posted: November 2, 2020
Early this week, via Parent Square you were asked to make a selection of your student’s Second Semester Learning Schedule - either Hybrid (Combination of In-person and Distance Learning) or Distance Learning (100% at home).
In order to help inform your decision, please review the following:
- SBJH Parent Webinar Slide Deck (Hybrid Information starts on Slide 17) presented on October 29th
- SBJH Parent Webinar Recording (Hybrid Information starts at minute 13:00 ) presented on October 29th
Specifically, you will choose one of the following:
Cohort A Hybrid Learning (In-person Instruction and Distance Learning)
In-person instruction (at school) on Monday and Thursday
Distance Learning (at home) on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
Cohort B Hybrid Learning (In-person Instruction and Distance Learning)
In-person instruction (at school) on Tuesday and Friday
Distance Learning (at home) on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
Cohort C Distance Learning (Distance Learning)
Distance Learning (at home) on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Your selection of Cohort A or B guarantees Hybrid Learning but does not guarantee the specific A or B Cohort. Your selection of Cohort A or B is an indication of preference.
- If you choose Cohort A or B (Hybrid), you may join Cohort C (Distance Learning) at a later time.
- If you choose Cohort C (Distance Learning), you may NOT join Cohort A or B (Hybrid) at a later time.
Santa Barbara Unified School District Posted: October 16, 2020
Santa Barbara Junior High Posted: October 12, 2020
Santa Barbara Unified School District Posted: October 12, 2020
SBUSD Plans for Reopening
(website linked, available in English and Spanish)