Work Permits

Process for a student to obtain a Work Permit:

  • Students must complete the Work Permit application (also known as B1-1 form) to include signatures from their potential employer and their parents. At this time, the CDE is allowing schools to accept B1-1 Work Permit Application forms that are scanned, or that have electronic signatures. 
  • During Summer Months When School Is Not In Session, students have three ways to submit their Work Permit Application (B1-1): 
    • Drop-Off at the District Office: Students can bring their applications to the District Office. Applications can be left at the main desk. 
    • Mail directly to the District Office: Please address the envelope:  Attention - CTE / Work Permits, 720 Santa Barbara Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    • Email a scanned, completed copy of the B1-1 Work Permit Application: Students can email a scanned, completed copy of their Work Permit Application to the Coordinator of College and Career Readiness over the summer. Email  with the Subject Line: Work Permit - [INSERT STUDENT NAME]
  • Once the Work Permit Application (B1-1) is approved, the student will be notified that a Work Permit has been issued. Students can either arrange to pick up their Work Permit from the district office during the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; or upon request, the complete permit will be mailed back to the student via the US Postal Service to the address provided on the Work Permit application form.  
  • Students are encouraged to keep a digital record and personal copies of all their work documents. 


Please anticipate a one week turnaround for the work permit to be issued.

Additional information regarding Work Permits is available by following this link.